Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Most Reputable Company in America (Or The Maker of My Favorite Cereals)

It's 6:25. You walk downstairs and into your kitchen. You go towards the cabinet with the cereal in it. You reach inside, get out your Honey Nut Cheerios, and sit down at the table with a spoon and bowl and the milk carton. 30 minutes later, you're on your way to school.
              We probably have all seen this logo at least once or twice in our lives. If you haven't, or if you don't recognize it, I'll tell you what it is. It's the General Mills logo. And in 101 Things, # 52 is Read Your Cereal Box. So that's what I did. Turns out in the ingredients list, the only thing that doesn't sound like English is Tripotassium Phosphate, which isn't super scary to me, because I know how to write it in chemistry format.
In reading the nutrition facts, I got bored, so I decided to look on General Mills' website to find out a little more about the company that makes Cheerios, Chex, Bugles, Fiber One and Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
              Turns out, one of the goals of the company is to "Be among the most socially responsible food companies in the world". Who knew? Gen. Mills also works to hire only the most qualified workers, making sure that they have a diverse workforce. When it comes to fraud, they have a very strict policy in an effort to increase the integrity and ethics of their company. Their cereals are for the most pretty healthy, too. Lots of fiber, no cholesterol (in Cheerios), and no trans fats.
              After reading the nutrition facts of my cereal, I realized that I don't normally pay attention to what goes into my food. I did start checking the labels of the meat in my fridge after seeing Food, Inc. in Journalism, but even then I wasn't paying much attention. I think that it's important for us to be conscious of what we buy, who we buy it from, and what's in it, and though usually if something edible is put in front of me I eat it, it's important to know what we're eating, because it has an effect on more than just us. So when you wake up tomorrow and eat your Wheaties, be a bad CAP student and read the back of your cereal instead of the newspaper. You just might learn something really cool.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet Samantha: A Maryland Girl Copyright © 2011 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template and web hosting